Abortion permitted since 1950
Up to 12 weeks: On request
Up to 22 weeks:
• Social grounds
• Medical grounds
Abortions must be performed by gynaecologists and either in maternity hospitals, gynaecological wards or specialized health centres
The cost varies from clinic to clinic, between US$ 5 – 15 per procedure. There are also unofficial, illegal payments, which range from US$ 20 to 100. The cost of an abortion is higher, if it is performed with anesthesia, or if it is illegal. Both legal and illegal costs have considerably increased in the last 10 years. The illegal abortion cost exceeds significantly an average monthly salary. A social security system in
Armenia does not exist yet.
DISPARITY IN THE APPLICATION OF THE LAW:
• Abortion services are not available in rural areas or in some urban settings
• Those who are medically indigent often perform self-induced abortion with high risk of complications and consequences.
• In most of the abortion cases it is performed through the surgical procedure of dilatation and curettage and without anaesthesia. Medical abortion is not introduced.
• Post-abortion family planning counselling is rarely performed.
• Abortion is still one of the common methods of fertility regulation.